- Open StaticSkin.pack and search for the szs that has the sprites you want to replace. (For example, SMB1 goomba is M1_enemy_kuribo.szs)
- Extract the szs file to a folder.
- Open the SZS in Wexos's Toolbox
- You should see "output.bfres". Right click it and export it to the folder.
- Open the BFRES file in BFRES Tool. (Do not close BFRES Tool)
- Open the DDS file(s) it generates in Paint.NET / GIMP.
- Modify them however you like.
- Save each DDS file as ABGR8 / A8B8G8R8 (No mipmaps.)
- In BFRES Tool, you should see "Replace (DDS File Name)".
- Click on it, and select your new DDS file. It should say "Done!" Do this for each DDS file. When you are finished, close BFRES Tool.
- In Wexos's Toolbox, right click on "output.bfres" and click replace.
- Select your new BFRES file and then save. (CTRL + S) You can close it afterwards.
Step Seven.(Sprite Editing Only)
- Open StaticSkin.pack and search for the szs that has the sprites you want to replace.
- Right click it and click "Replace". Select your new SZS file and then save. (CTRL + S) You can close it afterwards.
I know the problem. The reason for the crash is because the game is looking for files that do not exist. These files are inside of M1_ThumbnailSkin.pack. Inside this file are smaller versions of the Vanilla SMM backgrounds. There should be 4 by default, M1_S_DV_Sky.szs, M1_S_DV_Plain.szs, M1_S_DV_Water.szs, and M0_S_DV_Black.szs. If you added a background with the file name "MA_Field_Plain.szs" for example, you will need to add a "MA_S_DV_Plain.szs" into the file. This can be done by extracting the pack, adding the new small background files, and repacking.. or Add the new small background files with Wexos's Toolbox, rename them to be "Model/MA_S_DV_Plain", etc. The fix is quite easy to do, although a bit time consuming if you have added a lot of backgrounds.